I am Alessandro Lonardi, a PhD student at Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems (Tübingen, Germany), working under the supervision of Dr. Caterina De Bacco in the Physics for Inference and Optimization group. Previous to that, I was a Master’s student in Mathematical Engineering at University of Padova (Padua, Italy), where I also obtained my Bachelor’s degree in Physics.
My PhD is supported by the International Max Planck Research School for Intelligent Systems (IMPRS-IS), which is part of the Cyber Valley initiative.
My work focuses on the development of physics-based models for routing problems on networks. In particular, I am interested in explaining how different route selection mechanisms affect multiple agents moving along the edges of a graph. The applications of my work span from urban and biological networks, to machine learning and climate science.
- June 28, 2023: A new preprint is online: Bilevel Optimization for Traffic Mitigation in Optimal Transport Networks.
- July, 2023: Two talks at Netsci 2023: Infrastructure adaptation and emergence of loops in network routing with time-dependent loads and Bilevel optimization for flow control in optimal transport networks.
- Mar 9, 2023: I gave a talk for the NetPLACE Seminars series.
- Feb 3, 2023: Our work Infrastructure adaptation and emergence of loops in network routing with time-dependent loads is in Physical Review E!
- Jan 20, 2023: Our work Immiscible Color Flows in Optimal Transport Networks for Image Classification is in Frontiers in Physics! As a symbolic compensation for the emissions generated by our numerical experiments, Diego and I planted a cocoa tree 🌿.
- May 6, 2022: Our work Multicommodity routing optimization for engineering networks is in Scientific Reports!
- May 4, 2022: A new preprint is online: Immiscible Color Flows in Optimal Transport Networks for Image Classification.
- Dec 21, 2021: A new preprint is online: Infrastructure adaptation and emergence of loops in network routing with time-dependent loads.
- Oct 13, 2021 - Feb 11, 2022: I am a teaching assistant for the course of Advanced Probabilistic Machine Learning and Applications (2022), at University of Tübingen.
- Oct 4, 2021: Our work Designing optimal networks for multicommodity transport problem is in Physical Review Research!
- July 14, 2021: Our new work Optimal Transport in Multilayer Networks for Traffic Flow Optimization has just been published.
- Apr 19, 2021 - July 31, 2021: I was a teaching assistant for the course of Advanced Probabilistic Machine Learning and Applications (2021), at University of Tübingen.
- Feb 12, 2021: I joined the International Max Planck Research School for Intelligent Systems!